In a message dated 1/1/08 9:22:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Four wires, each approximately 3-4m (10-13 feet) long. The PW-1 is
> ground mounted with radials stretched out orthogonal to each other.
>
> I also failed to mention the bands that I tried. The were 40, 30 and
> 20m.

Well, there's part of the problem: Too few radials, and too short for the
band. Try adding more wires, and making them longer.

The other issue is skip distance. Verticals less than about 5/8 wave long
have good low-angle radiation (towards the horizon) but poor radiation at
higher
angles. If you are trying to work someone a few hundred miles away, a vertical
may not put enough RF at the correct radiation angle.

73 de Jim, N2EY