John W2XS wrote:
I use the KAT2 and BL2 with 2 different antennas.  One is the Cobra Ultralite
(www.k1jek.com) and the other is a 40 meter inverted Vee fed with 300-ohm
twinlead.  The tuner/balun has been able to match the first antenna on 160
to 10 and the second antenna on 40 to 10 (and even 80 but I never use it
there).  The balun has always stayed in the 4 to 1 position. I try to keep

Especially in the 4:1 configuration, this sort of configuration will only work if the antenna is close to resonance. If the antenna is well off resonance, the path of least resistance for the RF will through the balun windings, which are a DC short, and will be an RF short if their reactance is not greater than that of the antenna. Such a configuration may appear to tune, but won't actually put much power into the antenna.

the piece of coax from the balun to the rig as short as possible, and
sometimes use the male-to-male BNC adaptor that Elecraft sells.

72,

John W2XS

K2, KX1, and K3 (due in April)

--