I am making good progress. I managed to find an XV50 locally to do a trial
conversion. I will end up with two but perhaps someone will want one of
them. It has taken 5 hours because I was also writing the documentation
which will be on my web pages.

So far, I have managed to get the receive side working. I have converted the
LO to operate at ~42 MHz with a 3rd overtone crystal and inductive tuning.
My LO is actually 41MHz as I only had a crystal for that frequency. I have
re-tuned the LO filter and see a nice clean signal on my scope.

To bring the converter into band I only changed the resonator and
input/output capacitors in the mixer band pass filter. The coils should
really change too but will be very tricky to remove. Currently as a result
the filter is a little lossy and not very sharp.

I have not yet modified the front end preamplifier, I found it almost tunes
with minimum C1. It works well enough to allow me to receive signals on the
band, limited by band noise.  I will look at improving the preamplifier but
so far have left it alone to avoid the risk of damaging the FET.  Conversion
gain, 70.25MHz to 29.25MHz is 24 dB.

Later in the week I will start to pay attention to the transmitter side and
replacing the PA module and low pass filters.

Mike