I have now completed my modification by installing the replacement power
module. The changes required to fit the new module are very simple, it is
just a matter of removing 2 links and one inductor and installing one link
and two resistors, plus the module.

Power output of 20W was achieved immediately for  -20 dBm input. The power
will easily go beyond 30W but the heatsinking is not adequate even for 20W
so I recommend keeping it to 10W or less. If the gain is too high, the
resistor supplying the driver stage could usefully be changed to the same
value as in the XV144.

My receiver noise figure measurement attempts were thwarted by our local 70
MHz beacon. However, setting the measurement bandwidth to 100kHz allowed me
to measure the noise figure at 69MHz which was ~1.5 dB. This could no doubt
be improved by replacing L1, but is good enough for 70MHz already.

I have not done a 2 tone test yet, I will try this later. The results should
be as good as the XV50 and 10W is will below the maximum output.

Mike

PS - Can anyone make an appropriate XV70 indicator for the front?