The FCC"s frequency assignment policy protected these Class 1A stations from both co-channel and adjacent channel interference, if my recollection of 40 year old rules is correct. Obviously greater co-channel protection was provided than adjacent channel (+/- 10 KHz) protection.

As far as frequency response, I worked my way through law school as a transmitter engineer at a 50 KW AM station in Detroit 35 years or so ago. We had an RCA 50KW ampliphase transmitter model BTA-50H, for daytime operation. This particular transmitter design did not have a modulation transformer, but rather had two independent signal paths that were combined at the output port. When the signals were in phase, you got modulation peaks; when out of phase 180 degrees, you got the modulation minimum. There's a copy of the RCA review article on these transmitters at http://www.fmamradios.com/Ampliphase.html.

In any event, when we ran an audio proof on the BTA-50H, we took it up to 7.5 KHz, which I recall as being the upper limit required by the then-current FCC rules. The BTA-50H would do quite well in both distortion and in amplitude response over the full audio range, if the exciter had been recently tuned, itself a challenging task, particularly with the original vacuum tube exciter. RCA came out with a solid state replacement exciter around 1975, which helped stability quite a bit.

Neither of the conventional transmitters (a 10KW RCA and a 1 kW Gates) would do as well in the audio department as the ampliphase.

This was before the days of asymmetrical modulation, i.e., the limit was 100% for both positive and negative modulation. (Now 125% positive / 100% negative, as I recall.)

A number of AM stations now run AM digital mode, which uses two multi-channel digital signals in the upper and lower 10 KHz adjacent channel spectrum. I have some spectrum analyzer images of these signals that I'll put up on my web site one of these days.

Jack K8ZOA

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Back in the 'old days' of AM broadcasting in the US, the local stations were spread out with greater than 10 KHz spacing so they would not interfere even when received on wide bandwidth AM receivers. There were a few 'clear channel' superstations that had no competition nationwide and IIRC, they had a 20 kHz swath of spectrum. Those were mostly Westinghouse stations which ran 50,000 watts and could be heard over great distances. On normal stations, one would receive maximum fidelity with a 10 kHz IF filter (if a straight sided filter would have been available back then) because the modulation was supposed to be limited to less 5 kHz (or so rumor had it in those days).

73,
Don W3FPR

Alan Bloom wrote:
OK< I looked it up.  According to Title 47, part 73.44 of the FCC
regulations, <http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/amfmrule.html#AM> the
modulation of an AM broadcast station must be down 25 dB at 10.2 kHz
from the carrier.  Assuming a 3-pole low-pass filter (e.g. a
pi-network), the filter attenuation is 18 dB per octave, which implies a
cutoff frequency of no more than 3.9 kHz.  The -3 dB bandwidth would be
a little higher than that.

That's about what I remember from my broadcasting days many, many years
ago.  If you think about it, a double-sideband AM signal can't have a
bandwidth greater than 1/2 the channel spacing without interfering with
adjacent channels.  And it has to be somewhat less than that given
real-world filters.  So there is not much point in having a receiver
with much more than 4 kHz or so audio response (8 kHz or so RF
bandwidth).