Dave,
Yes, I was listening to a very weak J5C last night on 80 next to his pileup. On the K3 I could factor in some noise reduction and pull him out. On my 756 PRO2, when I turned on the NR, I got various clicks and pops on his frequency due to the pileup and couldn't read him. I'm normally skeptical when anyone says they can hear a signal on one radio and not on another, but this was a case where it was true. The K3 passband is completely free from digital artifacts, even with the NR on.
 73, andy, ae6y
----- Original Message ----- From: "David J Windisch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:24 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 as successor

I've been using (modified) FT-1000D's for long enough to become attached to them, because they perform well, don't eat much, don't break much in my habits of semi-serious contesting, DXing, and casual ragchewing. They're getting long in the tooth, like me, however, so I've been reading up on replacement candidates.

Trying pileups on 80M and other bands with an ICOM candidate was disappointing. The conditions are as follows:

DX at noise (you know, he's there, copiable at least part of the time, but any attenuation and he's not there) listening up 1. Pileup: REALLYBIGSIG1 up 1 and REALLYBIGSIG2 up 2. Result: artifacts all over the passband, again, you know, those bleeps, burbles, and stuff.

Back to the yaaaay zooooo to make the "Q".

Anybody tested the K3 in battle yet?

I'm all ears ;o)

TIA & 73,

Dave, N3HE