cx7tt wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I do not think this program is a bad idea and not withstanding comments
> from the cw purists, it could actually increase the number and
> proficiency of cw operators. When I was just starting out and struggling
> with 22 wpm, contesters running at 35+wpm just blew me away. I recall
> sitting on their frequencies trying to decipher their SS
> exchange....maybe listening to 5 or more Qs to figure out what number,
> what Sec, what CK, etc? If a beginner can decipher via software, while
> listening, isnt' that a learning experience?
> I am an avid cw op, participate in many contests and have been a guest
> operator (40m) during CQWWCW at K3LR's super station. Who among us would
> not love for more beginners to show up during those sloooooooooww
> periods on Sunday afternoon? How many times have you hit F1, just
> waiting for new blood.  If a guy, using the program can work me quickly
> using this program, move on to the next, etc, then his/her enjoyment
> will also increase and maybe, just maybe, be the impetus to learn,
> practice and participate in future cw events.

I think you (and others) are missing the point of this, as I did when I
first read Doug's post. This is not a tool to help those who can't be
bothered to learn CW operate in contests. Such tools have already been
available for a long time - CWGet, MixW, gMFSK, fldigi, HRD. And even our
very own K3 now has a built in CW decoder. No-one other than the purists
complain about this, and I believe that many contest ops use such software
to help read the very fast code many people use, even if most of them prefer
to keep quiet about it. :)

What this software does appear to do is to show the *calls* of every station
operating within the passband. This means that an operator using the
software will be able to spot someone they haven't already worked, a new
multiplier or whatever, much quicker than they would if they had to tune
around and listen. All that's needed - if it hasn't been thought of already
- is an interface between this program and popular logging software to
highlight the calls you most need to work.

The average casual contest participant is not going to pay $75 for this
thing. But the really keen, ultra-competitive ops would, because it gives
them a competitive advantage over those who don't use it. Except of course
that if everyone uses it, it just sets a level playing field at a higher
point, and removes some of the skill and fun at the same time.

I'm sure this software was an interesting challenge to write, but it would
have been better if the author had kept it to himself.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
Zerobeat Ham Forums: www.zerobeat.net/smf