Don

I'm really trying to get away from any listening done by ourselves and substitute an instrument = spectrogram. I just imagine that there is somewhere a reference that will help identify those bits of the display which contribute most to clarity and make it easy and more effective to adjust our filters accordingly. We would speak a set number of words for comparison and adjust for best fit. Fidelity is not an issue. In machine speech, this would be easy to optimise, but if we use voice keyers, those stock phrases could be perfectly adjusted for maximum "punch."

David
G3UNA

David,

You bring up a good point - how we actually sound to others is not necessarily how we perceive ourselves.
Here is the alternative that I use:
I have a good fidelity stereo system in the hamshack, and also have a recording of a male speaking voice (from a book on 'tape'). I play the recording on the stereo and hold the microphone close in front of the speaker while listening to the K2 on a separate receiver. A talk radio program can also provide a source speaking voice.

The major drawback for this method is that just any sort of speaker will not do the job - if the speaker is not of above average quality, it will color its output and the microphone will receive a distorted sound.

I have also used this same method to evaluate various microphones for communications clarity.

73,
Don W3FPR