The technique I used to set the SSB settings on my K2 was like this.

1.  Transmit into a dummy load.
2.  Receive on a known good receiver (Drake 2B in my case).
3.  Record the receiver output in a high fidelity recorder (Cakewalk).
4.  Listen to the recording on studio headphones.

This allowed me to hear how my voice & my mic sound through my rig.  I
was able to vary the TX level in the recording to simulate S-9+ signals
or S-5 signals so I could see how things shifted as the signal went
down.

It's important to record yourself since you can't hear your own voice
well at all if you're talking at the same time.

- Keith N1AS -
- SKCC 344c -