Yes, Simon is describing what I had in mind - a software solution that can be
implemented in the near future.  Lacking such an RS-232 server program,
we're left only able to run one CAT-capable program at a time.  Unless your
contest logging program implements its own version of cw skimmer or
clickable panadapter etc, we won't have these capabilities unless software
that will arbitrate access to the serial port from multiple programs is
available.

73,
Barry N1EU