I was informed, quite vehemently in fact, that American does not only apply
to people who live in the US but to those in all of the Americas.  My classmate
from Colombia was proud of the fact that he was an American.  Thus Americans
might speak only one language but their mother tongue may not be English but
Portuguese, Spanish, Quechua, Inuit, or French.
   However, my friend was facile in three languages and capable in two others.
Though he was earning his doctorate in computer engineering he gave me some
interesting insight into the literature of Europe and the Americas.  I am
indebted to him for introducing me to the work of Umberto Eco.
   Kevin.  KD5ONS