Don,

Actually, in CalP mode on 10m the KAT2 reports 14.2W and my external shows
8.5W.
I calibrated the KAT2 on 40m per the manual, should I set the FWD/REF pots
on a different band?
The closest setting of C55? in CALn was 006 as displayed on the K2's LCD. I
did find that the test point voltage at pin 1 on U4 was about 2.5V @ 5W
(3-4V spec). I did verify that everything was correct on and around T1.

The good news is after two months of troubleshooting, I finally have the
radio working enough to make my first contact with it today. The other op.
was in a bit of a hurry to QSY but, he did say that the audio sounded just
fine (7.180MHz LSB with W8ERN).

73, Damon

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Damon,
>
> I would speculate that you have bad diodes in the KAT2 wattmeter (D1 and
> D2), or there is some other problem with the wattmeter in the KAT2.
>
> Try this test:
> 1) Put an external wattmeter (or other power measuring device) on the
> output of the K2 and make certain you are connected to a good 50 ohm
> dummy load.
> 2) Set the power to 4 or 5 watts and set the KAT2 to CAL P and press
> TUNE - check to be certain the K2 is controlling the power output near
> the requested level.
> 3) Evaluate the result:
>
> If the power goes to maximum output (but displays 0.1 or 0.2 watts -
> which is actually zero), then you have a problem with the KAT2 wattmeter
> circuit, and it it was working before, the most likely cause is that the
> diodes have been zapped.
>
> OTOH, if the K2 display shows some reasonable power output, but is quite
> different from the external wattmeter, you need to calibrate the KAT2
> wattmeter - start with the balance adjustment, then calibrate the power
> output and finally calibrate the SWR.  The adjustments must be done in
> that order - if you go back to a prior adjustment, you have to re-do the
> other adjustments.
>
> Fact is you may have only the forward diode bad but not the refl diode -
> that would cause a higher than normal SWR to be indicated.  Since the
> diodes were likely damaged by a lightning static surge (yes, it can
> happen even with an attic antenna), I would recommend replacing both of
> them if either are suspected of causing a problem.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Damon - KC5CQW wrote:
>> Below is some of the text that I sent to Gary.
>> Basically, if I use the KAT2 to tune my 40m attic dipole the PA finals
>> will
>> short out.
>> I haven't tryied to tune any other antennas because I don't want to pay
>> for
>> any more PA kits ($18.50 'ish each time I tune up).
>> Also, CW is un-usable above 80m and no CW output on 10m (SSB and "tune"
>> yield 8.5W)
>>
>> See text below...
>>
>> 73, Damon KC5CQW

-----