F5VJC wrote:

> Would anyone care to suggest a brief spec for a new PC to run all the
> wonderful applications we have available to us?
>
> I have a K3 and do some fun contesting, with computer logging etc.
> I want to build the LP-Pan and maybe play with CW Skimmer and whatever
> else comes along. I'm no PC expert and I'm overdue due an upgrade so I
> would appreciate some advice on a typical machine that would serve me
> well for maybe a couple of years or more.

The only computers I use in the shack are ones that are too clapped out to
do anything else. I still have one 10 year old Dell Pentium II 400MHz doing
weather satellite reception. Most ham radio software is not particularly
demanding though the controversial CW Skimmer needs quite a powerful CPU,
apparently.

I now use Linux, and it just seems appropriate to me to be using an OS
largely developed by amateur enthusiasts for amateur radio. (In fact, I have
now converted all our home and office computers to Linux, as I loathe Vista
and have no desire ever to use it.)

However the choice of ham radio software available under Linux is quite
limited compared to Windows, and it helps to be a bit of a computer techie
to be able to overcome the various hurdles one usually encounters with
Linux.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com