I fancy using the K3 on field days and mini-dxpeditions. I also fancy the new line of small Asus computers which come with Linux installed. They have no hard drive therefore run longer on a standard battery. It has a set of drivers for Windoze applications should I wish to install at a later date, but someone once said there is an emulator for running Windoze applications which therefore does not require a licence from Bill; someone might be able to comment on that.

They come with Connectors: 3 USB 2.0 ports, MMC/SD (HC) card reader, Ethernet port,

Here are some links

Asus Eee PC, the 4GB version. 1024MB of Ram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=veriton

In answer to Doug KR2Q appeal for more info on the same subject, he was advised that a dual core cpu was a better investment over Pentium but the software has to be able to take advantage of the dual power.

Then, again I like what Julian says about using old computers.

David
G3UNA

Julian, G4ILO said

The only computers I use in the shack are ones that are too clapped out to
do anything else. I still have one 10 year old Dell Pentium II 400MHz doing
weather satellite reception. Most ham radio software is not particularly
demanding though the controversial CW Skimmer needs quite a powerful CPU,
apparently.

I now use Linux, and it just seems appropriate to me to be using an OS
largely developed by amateur enthusiasts for amateur radio. (In fact, I have now converted all our home and office computers to Linux, as I loathe Vista
and have no desire ever to use it.)

However the choice of ham radio software available under Linux is quite
limited compared to Windows, and it helps to be a bit of a computer techie
to be able to overcome the various hurdles one usually encounters with
Linux.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com