Brett Howard wrote:

But yes California heard about this and was like
wow if we get rid of all those passive loads from bricks that are plugged
into products that are turned off we'll save all sorts of money.

Can they spell "hot standby"?  Cold starts are not good for a lot of
electronics, to say nothing about frequency stability.  BTW, I am a
Registered Professional Electrical Engineer with a California (and
Oregon and Nevada and Utah) license, at that.

That and the power system in CA already seems a bit "fragile" at times....

A contrived situation whose blame can be laid squarely on the games
being played by the two large private utilities - Pacific Gas & Electric
and Southern California Edison.  Surprising how the Los Angeles
Department of Water and Power, a municipally-owned major electric
utility, doesn't have those reliability problems.

Works for me... Oregon makes quite a bit of money selling power to you guys!! :)

Is it "Oregon" or is it Bonneville Power Administration, a Federal
agency? But is doesn't seem to "trickle down".  Both Pacific Power and
Portland General Electric buy significant amounts of "cheap" hydro power
from BPA but seem to have raised rates nearly double in the decade that
we've been here (or maybe we just use more, what with my comm room on
"standby power" 24/7... including my K2, of course!  <g>

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County)  Oregon