I love my K1.  Was a kick in the pants to build.  I found that using
emery cloth to strip the insulation off the torroids was a help as it
allowed me to get things very clean with out doing the heat strip method
which didn't work too well for me.  I've made quite a few contacts using
a fanned dipole in a couple trees around the house.  I usually get into
at least the 20 meter Elecraft CW net weekly and if Tom (N0SS) is still
hanging around during the 40 meter net I usually get in to that one as
well. I love the memory keyer in it and just set the thing up to call CQ
and its usually not too long before I'm in QSO with someone.

With my K1 and dipole I've worked Japan on 3 watts and was getting a
good report from Oregon.  The receiver is a pleasure to listen to!  I
also recommend the backlight mod.  I ended up taking mine back apart and
adding it after the fact and wish I'd just bought it from the get go.  I
also really like the antenna tuner that elecraft makes for it.  I find
the noise blanker useful (as I live in a very high noise area) it does
cut the noise back a few S units but its the least effective noise
blanker that I have in any of my radios.

~Brett