>>"I am thinking I will get some aluminum sided insulation that  you
see in rolls at Lowes and use it as an assembly mat.

The normal anti-static mat has a high resistance per square. An
aluminum mat will have a very low resistance.

How much damage is done to a powered up board when it is placed the
aluminum mat? Keep in mind that boards that have a battery or a
super-cap are powered up. Boards with real-time-clocks are powered up.
Boards that have non-volatile memory might be powered up.

I'll let someone else address the people safety issue.

Mark  AD5SS