Ken Kopp wrote:
Aren't amateur radio related items duty-free in the UK and EU,
as they are in Canada? I became aware of this through extensive eBay sales.

Most are free from import duty, or else it's only a few percent. The killer is the Value Added Tax, which is 17.5% in the UK and even higher in some other EU countries. Unless the item is of small value, or is below the Customs exemptions for incoming travelers, VAT will normally be charged on *all* incoming goods.

The worst thing is that both duty and taxes are applied to the bottom line of the invoice, the total including both shipping and insurance! Helpful exporters to the EU will bill for those two service items separately, so that duty and VAT are applied only to the true value of the goods. As far as I'm aware, this is a perfectly legal way to minimize the tax liability.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek