----- Original Message ----- From: "TF3KX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Import duties on amateur radio items

The "import duty" is not the problem, but the VAT (somewhat similar to the US sales tax), which is exceedingly high in many European countries.

I wonder if anyone tops the Icelandic VAT, 24.5%, which is added on the total package value: Content price + shipping + insurance. Additionally, I may be charged for the paperwork ($10-20), and to top it all they may occasionally request a permit from the Post and Telegraph Authorities for "radio components". This is what I had to go through when ordering my K2 a
couple of months ago.

Kristinn,

Oooooooooh! That's nasty! And they charge VAT on your shipping and insurance too! Very punitive I would say. I guess the U.K. does that too. I can sort of understand including shipping, as it is a cost of acquisiton. Insurance, though, seems like a bit of a stretch. But both seem inequitable if you consider the (fortunate) person who can carry the product in, and avoid the VAT charge for shipping and insurance. On the other hand, taxes are rarely equitable!

This raises a question in my mind for you VAT payers. If you pay the VAT, and then discover that your item has been more or less destroyed in shipping, do you get any refund on the VAT? What happens on the replacement item, assuming you get one? Perhaps your comment about the replacement part suggests you wouldn't pay the VAT twice.

I know Iceland is expensive, and the economy is fragile to some extent, but I didn't realize it was so harsh on its citizens who are forced to import many things, or go without. However, I know it's a beautiful place with a fascinating history. We did try to go there a few years ago. Unfortunately, our cruise ship ran into a hurricane. We apparently got within about 150 miles of Reykjavik, and the captain had to give up. The props on the ship came out of the water twice! So, missed the chance to make a small contribution to the economy there. Very disappointing.

Dave W7AQK