Doug,

I can't, for the life of me, figure why anyone would want to listen to
cw with a really wide filter, but.....

I can't, for the life of me, figure why anyone would want to partake in contesting.

Listening to CW with a wide filter often reveals keying effects that are otherwise masked by narrower filters. I also find narrow filters to be somewhat fatiguing for general rag-chew QSOs. An example was the Kenwood TS-870. CW reception with a DSP filter setting above 1 kHz was not possible.

The filter capacity is there in these newer radios. Why not allow the ability to make full use of them, even if only for testing purposes?

Tnx for the suggestion on using RIT. However, the value will not save to memory as it does with the described method.

Paul, W9AC