Ron,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have shortened your response below, and inserted my comments.

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:28:14 -0700

I've only received sporadic reports of this happening, and *nothing* after suggesting checking the fit of the mic connector, which led me to believe
the problem was fixed as suggested....

My mic connector does clear the hole, as in Fig. 37.

... Among the returns they have noticed several that did not have the split ring lock washer between the standoff and the pc board as shown in Figure 34 of the assembly manual. Instead the builder put the washer under the head of the screw because that’s where one might expect to put a lock washer, but
that is *not* where it goes. ...

I'm certain I did it as described.

In this case it is part of the total spacer
provided by the standoff and must go between the standoff and the pc board. That mistake actually helps the PHONES washer fit more tightly by moving everything forward toward the sheet metal, but can result in a skewed VFO A shaft since the connector 'bottoms out' in the jack on the front panel PC
board before it sits squarely behind the front panel.

In that case, I suppose I would have seen the threaded shaft draw outward as I snugged the nut. I used a box-end wrench and watched, and didn't see that happening. I think the toothed lockwasher on the inside crushed more on one side. Since I had 6" wrench leverage, I followed temptation and made it pretty tight, maybe more than intended? - but not extreme. I do have some finesse. I suppose I could try tightening it more, to see if it straightens out.

Adding the nut inside
the front panel will move the VFO A encoder back and solve that problem, but
it can cause fit issues in the future as you add options.

Another problem that mistake causes are occasional broken LCD glass because the display is moved forward with the front panel board where the screws
holding the LCD cover can strike it.

So far, they have found they can fix loose PHONES jack washers and crooked
VFO A encoders by tightening the nuts sufficiently. As one builder
mentioned, the knurled nut defies too much tightening with a tool unless one risks scratching the front panel. What the folks in Aptos have done is to squeeze the front panel sheet metal back against the PC boards in one hand, pressing *between* the jack and the red and yellow LEDs just above it (but not ON the LEDs) with a thumb while supporting the PC boards with their fingers from behind. That flexes the sheet metal just slightly but enough to allow them to tighten the PHONES knurled nut with the fingers of the other
hand to trap the washer securely. So far, that has cured all the loose
washers they have encountered assembling rigs.

That's what I did when I assembled it, since I didn't think just finger-tight would do. I got it tighter that way, but still, it loosened as soon as I plugged headphones in a couple times.

They also reported getting a few K3s back with complaints about a crooked VFO A encoder that was fixed simply by tightening the nut against the front panel. It was finger tight, but not tight enough. A little extra leverage on
the nut straightened up the shaft.

See above. Mine IS pretty tight.

Of course, both of those "fixes" can cause serious damage if the front panel is not properly spaced from the front panel board using the 5/16" standoffs
and split lock washers as shown in the manual.

I guess I'm safe there.

An obvious question is "how tight is too tight" so that it might break
something. I have assembled two front panels, and both times nominal
pressure with pliers (or a socket wrench held in my hand - no handle
attached) was plenty. But two is a tiny sample. It would be good to hear from those who have the "loose Phones washer" and "crooked VFO A encoder" problems and whether any of the above helped, should you be inclined to take
another look.

Feel free to drop me a note if you're experiencing these problems and let me
know if the above help.

Ron

If I can find some fix for the loose PHONES jack, I'll be happy to leave the encoder shaft as it is, unless you suggest I tighten it a bit more (trusting my good judgement) but now that I recall from the photo how slim the lock washers are, I'm more inclined to leave well enough alone.

Thanks!