Ron:

Glad this is getting attention.  After reading your email I removed the
front panel and disassembled it enough to check those items.  The
lockwashers that you mentioned were properly in place, though it seems that
if they weren't the headphone washer would be tighter, not looser.  The mic
connector is not an issue at all as there is actually quite a bit of
clearance around it in my front panel (perhaps a recent design tweak?).

I used the "squeeze it together and tighten" approach to snug things down
and the washer is no longer loose.  There is however, a barely perceptable
inward bowing of the front panel now.  It is very minor and much less
annoying than the rattling washer, so I buttoned it back up that way.  I've
reported this to support at Elecraft.

73 and have fun!
Rick
AI1V
K3 SN728

Hi Windy:

I'm working on the assembly procedures, monitoring e-mails and talking with
Gary and the techs in Aptos who are working on returned gear and building
K3s to see where I need to provide more or better information in the
manuals. I'm in Oregon and cannot see for myself the returned gear or the
assembly of the new rigs.

Given that those standoffs between the front panel board and the front panel
sheet metal are installed correctly, Aptos has found tightening the PHONES
jack knurled nut a bit more (squeezing the boards and front panel sheet
metal between thumb and fingers while turning the knurled nut) has always
cured the problem. Since I mentioned that, several builders wrote me
personally to report that worked for them too.

If that doesn't work for you, post a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Gary
will pick it up there and pursue the fix for you and we'll find out what is
happening to cause the problem for others.

Ron AC7AC