On 080430 5:05 , "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I don't think your concerns are warranted. The LCD is an array of  transistor
> switches which affect the transmission of light by polarizing effects  of
> their electrostatic field. The actual light is provided by backlighting from
> light emitting diodes which are well known for their longevity.
>
> The Day mode will shut off the LED backlights on the LCD, but unfortunately
> it also ups the level of brightness for the LEDs on the controls. That would
> seem to be a simple fix in the firmware.
>
> Al WA6VNN

I have recently got a comment from Wayne about this as it is on my wish list
of things for future enhancements of the K3, he didn't seem to exited about
it. (my other 3 requests are all in the next or future firmware, I guess
they where more popular requests).

I agree that this is not a question about lifetime of the backlight, to me
it is more important to be able to use the radio in stealth mode when
operating remote. I also find it useful when leaving the radio on overnight
to use the band opening as an alarm clock.

Wayne was very happy to receive my wish list in private mail, I think it is
a good idea to use private email for any request you are serious about as it
otherwise might drown in the reflector noise.

73 de Björn /SM0MDG