> So the bias voltage is nothing to do with where the 8v line is
> on the front panel socket.  Unless your mic requires the 8v line
> which would only normally happen for desk mics (?) I do not see
> a problem.  The vast majority of desk mics will have a blocking
> capacitor on the mic audio line.
>
> Do I have it correct?

Not quite.  Kenwood, Yaesu and TenTec all require the +8V (+5V on
pin 2 for Yaesu/Kenwood) line for electret mics.  They do not put
bias on the microphone audio line in order to prevent problems and
potential damage with dynamic mics.  Instead they install a R/C
network inside any electret or preamplified microphone to add the
voltage directly at the mic element or preamplifier.

Dynamic mics typically do not include blocking capacitors in the
mic line although some amateur mics will include a switch and .1
to .33 uF capacitor to provide a rising frequency response.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV