Windy is correct.  However . . . this can also be a "gotcha."

If this feature is enabled and you don't realize it, you can find yourself in another universe awfully fast.

After checking into an NTS cw net one night, I sat idly twirling the RIT knob knowing the RIT was off. A minute or two later it suddenly dawned on me that the NCS was no longer transmitting. Moreover, the VFO was displaying a frequency half a megacycle up the band. It took me a half-hour to figure out what had happened.

But it IS a wonderful feature if you know what you're doing.

Kent  K9ZTV

KM5Q wrote:
I might have missed this handy feature if another K3 owner hadn't shown it to me. That's why I'm bringing it up here.

When RIT/XIT is off, it's control can function as a very coarse tuning, to quickly zip around a band. To enjoy this feature, you need to configure it -- See the user's manual, bottom of p. 14.