To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 7:40 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K3 Microphone selection

I have more experience with mics in the audio world than the ham world.
Finding a mic with a flat response isn't so easy.  If it is a mic built
for vocals, it will most likely have a presence peak.  Without it, any
directional mic starts to sound very muddy due to proximity effect.

I believe some of the studio mics are flat.  Rode NT-1 comes to mind.
About $200 and flat response.  Of course, it has no PTT and should be
hung in a shock mount.  I don't know how well it do in an RF field
either.

With my K2 and TS-830s (both sold) I've used a couple of "vocal mics" as
ham mics, with good results.  I've used the standard SM-58 and it's
fine.  I've also used a small diaphragm mic (Audio Technica ATM-31) and
it worked a little better.  The ATM-31 sounds very similar to an SM-58
bit with a bit more lower mids (to beef up my thin voice) and better
articulation (condenser vs. dynamic).  In live band performances I found
the ATM mic worked a bit better with my vocals than the SM-58 did.  For
informal demo recordings, the ATM absolutely blows the SM-58 away on
vocals, flute, acoustic guitar, drum overheads, etc.  Or course, there's
no PPT switch on these mics.  I wired up a foot switch which I like
better anyway.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -