The power control sets power in AM all the way up to 120 Watts indicated, but only actually outputs around a quarter of the set power, I appreciate the peak output will be the displayed power, but "everyone else" displays the actual carrier level. Example my faithful TS-480SAT only allows the AM power to be set between 5 and 25 Watts, which seems more sensible than a K3 which has an apparent power out adjustable from 100 mW to 120 Watts.

Is this an error that has crept in or was it like that in earlier firmware?

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80