I brought the K3 (#722) to work today once again, this
time to check the FM operation of the radio. I had
calibrated the oscillator a couple of weeks ago, and
it has only drifted 16Hz since then! Measurements
taken on the same equipment, same freq standard
Motorola 2670, Spectracom 8195A.
My FM measurements were as follows:
Frequency was 52.525, did not check 10 meters.
12Db SINAD .47uV -113.4dBm
Looses squelch (13) takes .79uV -109.0dBm to break
Squelch closes at .33uV -116.5dBm
Max modulation acceptance 4.90kHz
TX CTCSS deviation .3kHz (at 114.8Hz)
Maximum mic deviation 2.0kHz (at 1000 Hz mod
frequency)
Max overall deviation 2.29kHz (above two tones)

Here are the issues. The TX deviation and RX mod
acceptance are for narrowband operations. We need the
CTCSS to be around .6kHz deviation and mic audio
around 4.2kHz or so. Maximum overall deviation should
not exceed 5kHz. In the US we are still "wideband" on
these frequencies, in both commercial and amateur
service, emission designator 20KOF3E. We need more
deviation to sound good here in the US. That said, the
recovered TX audio waveform looks great! With mic gain
turned up all the way with the Elecraft mic, there was
no distortion at all on the mod scope. Looked really
nice, better than a $14k Motorola Quantar. Very nice
modulation.
It also simply takes too much signal to break squelch.
Loose squelch should be able to break below the 12dB
SINAD point.

So, please more TX audio, or a way to select
wide/narrow if narrow is needed elsewhere in the
world, and better squelch action.

So, for now, still on the MASTR II for 6 meters...

73
Josh K6ZRX