Sounds good for SWL. Only downside (a minor one, IMO) is that you might get response from images 30 KHz away. How much weaker is a signal when you tune to its image 30 KHz up/down?

Jerry W4UK

At 11:01 AM 5/5/2008, Dave Martin wrote:
On 5/5/08, Stewart Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why not an LC filter for AM reception instead of an expensive
>  crystal roofing filter ?

That's what I did.  I cut a scrap of PC board to the size of a filter
and used three toroids with tuning and coupling caps.  It worked just
fine in position one, set up as 13 KHz.  The DSP hasn't suffered at
all.  Maybe with more antenna gain one might see some overload from
nearby signals, but not with my modest wire.  I sure wouldn't transmit
with it, though.  It's hugely wide, offering no attenuation of
unwanted mixer products.

Dave  W5DHM