Could be a ground loop problem. At the factory we have had trouble
with ground loops upsetting RS232 communication between the device
under test and the test controller PC... and are careful about our AC
mains power arrangements. We try to keep all AC power cords for test
gear, PC, etc. on the station plugged into a common power strip.
Sometimes optical isolation of RS232 paths is needed for really
complicated configurations, where RS232 and USB paths exist both
between the controller PC and the test fixture (which has embedded
microcontroller) and between the test fixture and the DUT.

Bob NW8L