>I am surprised to hear that people don't like the extra bandwidth in the
>audio response in the K3.

>For me I have been reluctant to check into a regular rag chew net until I
>could have some extra low frequency response. I knew that the K3 wouldn't
>measure up and I didn't want the K3 to be seen in a poor light.

>Yes I am quite familiar that this is the opposite of good dx performance
but
>these guys don't care about dx at all. They care about comfortable
>listening. I of course care about dx when I want it and rag chew when I
want
>it. Now I can have both. AM sounds so much fuller now also.

>I wouldn't want it any other way.

>Mike Scott

>AE6WA Tarzana, CA

>K3/100 SN508

Hi Mike!

I agree with you. I also like the more "full" audio and I really would hate
to see the K3 restricted in hardware or software. Adding a SSB TX bandwidth
menu for adjusting this to each users preferences would be fine:

2400 Hz : 300 - 2700 Hz
2600 Hz : 200 - 2800 Hz (default ?)
2800 Hz : 200 - 3000 Hz
3000 Hz : 100 - 3100 Hz (requires 6kHz IF-filter)
3500 Hz : 70 - 3570 Hz (requires 6kHz IF-filter)
4000 Hz : 50 - 4050 Hz (requires 6kHz IF-filter)

One can also use a microphone with low cut (the Kenwood MC-90 is great and
fits directly on the K3 without re-soldering the 8-pin connector). This one
has a low cut with 2 positions, and it has a great audio response for SSB.
It is a 250 ohm dynamic microphone with two replaceable microphone heads.

For ragchew on a quiet band it is nice to have some more low end and
bandwidth.

Best regards
LA4AMA
Roar