>>    * SSB TRANSMIT BANDPASS EXTENDED AT LOW END. Improvement
>> is about 2 dB at 300 Hz, 3 dB at 200 Hz, and 6 dB at 100 Hz.
>
> Can this be made optional?  Excess LF response only wastes
> power at low frequencies and occupies excess bandwidth.

> We could add a menu entry for this -- it's on the list. Meanwhile, the
> low end is rolled off a bit in hardware, too, so in practice I don't
> think you'll have any problems with this.

Hi.

At what frequencies are the low end rolled off in hardware ?
I think it should be as "flat" as possible and then rolled off by the
microphone (low-cut switc etc.) or the TX eq.

The TEN-TEC Omni VII for instance has a menu for TX roll-off (70-300Hz).
Adding this will be a fine way for users to set the TX roll-off to the point
they want.

The only thing one must remember with the Omni VII is that if you set the TX
bandwidth to 2400 Hz and the TX roll-off to 70Hz it will sound too "muddy".
Then one must move the TX roll-off to around 200Hz to cut off the low end.
This also "add's" the 200Hz you set in the TX roll-off to the upper side of
the passband (moving it from 2470Hz to 2600Hz). This way the TX bandwidth is
still 2400 Hz, and the TX frequency passband are 200Hz - 2600Hz.

Alternativly, one can have one single SSB TX bandwidth menu who cuts off at
specified frequencies:

2400 Hz : 300 - 2700 Hz
2600 Hz : 200 - 2800 Hz (default?)
2800 Hz : 200 - 3000 Hz
3000 Hz : 100 - 3100 Hz (requires 6kHz IF filter)
3500 Hz : 70 - 3570 Hz (requires 6kHz IF filter)
4000 Hz : 50 - 4050 Hz (requires 6kHz IF filter)

This is maybe "easier" and more user friendly as it cuts off the low end as
well, and it's easier to get a good sound without adjusting several menu's.
Having a bit more low end and more bandwidth is fine when using 10m or 6m
locally for ragchew on a quiet band.

Best regards
LA4AMA
Roar