At 08:13 AM 07/05/08, you wrote:
Hi,

I put my K2 #1400 back on line last night to have a listen around 40M CW.
I'm getting a bit fed up with one step forward, half a step back firmware
upgrades and am giving it a rest for a while.  Anyway, I was surprised
just how nice it sounded compared to my K3.  The audio seems softer and
warmer somehow.  Same bandwidth (400Hz), same phones.  The K3 background
noise just sounded harder, more harsh.  I've had this feeling from day
one.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

You're not alone Mike.

I find myself going back to my K2's, just to see if there is any instance where my K3 out performs my K2's, and I, like you find the K2's much easier to listen to. Yes, the K3 has a lot of neat features, data modes, rtty modes, etc, but when it comes down to digging them out of the mud, the K2 is as good. No, the K2 will never be the SSB rig the K3 is, nor will it do FM/AM etc., but for CW, it's right there with the best.

I can understand why some people don't like the K2's size and small knobs. Fortunately I have small hands. The K2 is a great qrp contest radio. I think it was 2003 SSCW where I ran my K2's in a SO2R configuration, QRP. I finished 2nd overall, losing to N6TR, who decided to run QRP that year. I contribute that to good luck and the K2's.

I'm not knocking the K3, not at all. But if someone is wishing for a K3, but can only afford a K2, or 2 K2's (at the price of a loaded K3), get a K2, you won't regret it.

Yes, my K2's sound warmer than the K3. Maybe it's the way the filters are adjusted?

One thing the K3 did do for me, it made me realize what a truly great radio the K2 is!

John
k7up
K1 637
K2's 2012 2223