I installed a KPA3 yesterday and noticed the same thing.  The final finish
is on the side with the countersunk screw holes.  I figured that the
difference
in finish between the two sides was subtle and that I wouldn't pay any
attention
to it once the fans were in place and on the back of the rig.
Besides, I dislike getting to the back of my K3 anyway - too many cables.
hi hi

Neal WA6OCP