-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jon Perelstein
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:23 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Very Dissatisfied With Elecraft Support

I ordered a K1 based that "They all ... have built-in test equipment to
simplify alignment and testing" (from the Elecraft web site).  Now --
according to Elecraft support -- I have to source obsolete parts from
China, buy drill equipment and copper bathroom pipe, and rip apart my
television (or my computer) to cannibalize printed circuit boards.

Either that or buy an oscilloscope that would cost me more than the K1.

I'm building a 2 band K1 -- 40 meters (band 1) and 20 meters (band 2).
During receiver alignment, Band 1 (40 meters) seems to be working fine.
Band 2 (20 meters) however, does nothing.

The support guys are telling me that I have to build an RF probe for
further testing, and they've pointed me to a schematic in the K1 user
manual and told me to go build the probe from scratch.
That's about as useful to me as pointing me to the schematic of the K1
and telling me to go build the K1 from scratch.

I'm a new ham (March, 2008).  I'm not a home electronic hobbyist.  I
don't have test equipment.  I have no experience at homebrew, nor do I
have the knowledge to do so. I bought the K1 as a starter to get my feet
wet in working electronics.

After a number of emails with support about how to build an RF probe (a
question that was repeatedly ignored), I was finally referred to a
couple of different web sites:

-  The first site starts out with "... using an old piece of
double-sided printed circuit board that you have in your junk bin ...".

Where exactly do I have double-sided printed circuit board sitting
around?  Do I hacksaw off a hunk from my television or from my computer?
Radio Shack doesn't sell it, nor does Mouser.

-  The next site also wants me to use double-sided printed circuit
board, plus they want me to insert it into a copper pipe and drill holes
through the pipe.

Riiiight ... so in other words I have to go out and buy a drill that's
capable of drilling through copper.  And I have to buy the copper pipe
and end caps.  Will I have to get the pipe threaded in order to mount
the end caps?

-  Then there's the site that built the RF probe inside a ball-point
pen.  The author of that site admitted that it took him a number of
tries before he was able to build it without breaking the diode, and
that this is a project for the more advanced hobbyist.

It also turns out that nobody carries the diode specified by the
schematic (1N34A).  According to Mouser, it's obsolete and out of stock,
but if I want to pay a couple of hundred bucks, they'll gladly source it
from China.  Mouser will sell me something that they claim is a
replacement for the 1N34A, but all of the web sites I've been referred
to tell me not to use that specific replacement.

I bought a kit because it comes with all the parts, has a pre-built
chassis, has pre-drilled holes, and includes complete and well-thought
out instructions on how to mount everything  -- as well as a commitment
to provide support during the construction process.

Maybe in two or three years I'll have the experience to build my own RF
probe, but in the meantime I'm stuck with a K1 that I can't finish
without an RF probe, and there's no way that I can build an RF probe
without a trip to China.

Anybody want a mostly complete K1?  Make me an offer -- I'll even throw
in shipping.

Jon
KB1QBZ