Dave,

While reading those references, keep in mind that they refer to pro-audio microphones, which can be a bit different in their connections and usage than mics used by hams (and consumer devices). For instance, the pro mics are typically balanced line output, and any 'bias' required (often called phantom voltage) is applied between *both* balanced line connectors and the mic cable shield.

The articles are informative, but only apply partly to the microphones we see in ham radio service. For instance, the article will say that the basic electret element does not need any bias voltage - that is true - but the implementation used in amateur microphones, the element typically used contains an FET preamplifier as part of the 'element' that you purchase. That preamplifier does need the bias power. The basic electret element (without the preamp) has very very low level output and would be unusable to directly drive a transceiver. The terminology can get confusing, but is important for understanding the subject.

73,
Don W3FPR

David Wilburn wrote:
I didn't know the answer either, so I googled it. Since I do not know anything about the difference, I am reading these too. Not sure how useful they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

http://www.pmiaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-27.html

Dave Wilburn