I agree with Joe's summary.  Note that the "250" Hz 8-pole filter is really
about 370 Hz at the -6 dB point.  Any of the current "500", "400" or "250"
Hz crystal filters will be fine for RTTY.  With any of them, the DSP can be
narrowed to 300 Hz without rolling off the outside edges of the two tones.

Note that the Dual-Tone Filter for RTTY is cascaded with the crystal and
normal DSP filters and if either of the latter two filters are 250 Hz (at -6
dB) the three-filter-cascade will have significant roll-off on the outside
skirts.  This has the undesired effect of moving the two filter peaks much
closer together than the 170 Hz split.

That said, I have been running the 370 Hz crystal filter (aka "250 Hz
8-pole") with 200 Hz DSP and the DTF for several months now in RTTY
contests.  While the resultant passband was indeed rolled off as described,
this was overall a net benefit in heavy pileup conditions because it
filtered out the pileup better, producing a clear callsign quicker, despite
the rolled-off passband.  In other than heavy pileup conditions, it is best
to keep the DSP at 300 Hz or higher, especially for copy of weaker signals.

In the future, there will probably be a 200-400 (or 200-500) Hz variable
5-pole crystal filter that will be ideal to track with the DSP for high
performance RTTY reception, ranging from weak signal to heavy pileup
conditions.

73,
Ed - W0YK