Are there any contest logging programs out that support the internal keyer
on the K3? This seems the ideal way to go, just one more serial command that
has to be coded to go to the radio. Otherwise you either:

1) Have the computer generate the CW and waggle some lines to the radio.
This is problematic because no modern operating system has deterministic
timing. You never know when the OS will decide to go do something else for a
while, and you get choppy code if you're unlucky. You also need a circuit to
key from the parallel port, or use DTR/CTS on serial, which is OK until you
reboot your computer and it keys up your radio. Plus, AFAICT you can get
paddle inputs only via a parallel port. (Seems like a serial port could take
paddle input on DSR & RTS, but I don't recall ever seeing that. Probably
because you'd need to add in both + and - power supplies. The advantage of
the parallel port is that you can set a pin to +5 V to power your paddle
input circuit.)

2) Buy an external box like WinKey to interface to the rig. Why spend money
on that? It's only doing stuff that the rig already does!

So, any support out there? I'm considering moving to a new logging program
and hoping to mothball the special cables and lash-ups that I've been using,
and get more consistent code too. Plus, I won't need to plug and unplug
paddles and things when I work offline from the logging program.

Thanks!
73, Carl WS7L

Checked by AVG.
8:56 AM