Joe Subich, W4TV-3 wrote:

> None of the three most commonly used contest logging programs
> support the KY command.  All three authors/developer groups
> have investigated the KY command and rejected supporting it.
> The issues are: 1) KY is not universally supported - it is
> only useful with K2, K3 and some Kenwood transceivers.  2)
> once a message has been sent to the radio it is not possible
> to edit it (call corrections).  3) buffer management is very
> difficult - it is not possible for the logging program to know
> when a message has completed in order to implement timed delays
> (or repeating messages) with a known time between the end of the
> message and start of the repeat.

Although 1) is true, I'm surprised 2) is a big deal for contesting, when you
are only sending very short "overs". In the K2, it is possible to abort the
unsent text by sending a "KY @;" command. I'm not sure if Wayne has
implenented this in the K3 yet.

3) is completely incorrect as far as the K2 and K3 goes. It is possible to
poll the radio and find out if the buffer is full, part full or empty. In
fact it is essential to do this as the K2 doesn't like being sent text its
buffer doesn't have room for.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com