The K3/100 kit I ordered last December arrived. It went together fairly smoothly (in about ten hours), and there were no error messages when I powered up. I also ordered Rose Kopp's cloth case which is attractive, well made, and perfect for packing the K3 in my roller board when I go to France for the summer.

My only gripe is with the owner's manual. I have never used a software defined rig before, and I found the description of the various menu and config choices fairly baffling. Somehow (with help from Scott and Dale), I've got the K3 functioning well on both SSB receive and transmit, but I have little idea of what, exactly, the numerous parameters actually mean and how they interact with each other. Also, the acronyms tend to pile up a bit mercilessly. It would be great if there were an extended discussion of all these choices, a description of possible starting values and an explanation of what would change (and how much) if one chose different parameters. In brief, I would love a 'K3 for Idiots' type manual. Is there any chance that some kind soul would prepare such a document. Of course, it would have to change with software updates, but this would be less difficult in the absence of any need for a hard copy. Although the reflector has discussions of such matters, it would be nice to have a coherent (and authoritative) discussion in a single place of such topics as 'how to use the K3 to pull weak signals out of the noise' or 'what can be done - both good and bad - with AGC.' Of course, I could join other K3 users in discovering all this stuff by trial and error, but with all the available variables to play with, this could be life's work.

Given that the K3 works well already, I suppose I could decide to leave well enough alone, but the manual leaves me with the distinct feeling that one could do much better. Alas, the reflector makes it clear that I could also do much worse as well.

73,

Dick, KA1SA