I am becoming very concerned about connecting my "Kenwood" original Goldline
(HC-5 and "Full-Range") ...

Don't be concerned. I use the Heil Goldline GM-5 with my K3. Mine came with a non-Kenwood radio adapter cable, so I made my own with an 8-pin Foster connector and an XLR connector.

Is the "standard" wiring connection for the mic on the K3 the same as the
Kenwood?

The only signals the K3 uses with this mic are PTT, common and mic audio. These pins are consistent with Kenwood 8-pin mic wiring, such as on a TS-850S.

The complete pinout used in the K3 is on the web site in the FAQ.

Do I need "bias"?

No.  Turn it off.

What gets burned up if I get it wrong?

Nothing.  You just get distorted and/or weak transmit audio.

73,

Lyle KK7P