Overall I am very pleased with the review that Peter produced.
Having chided him somewhat over the lack of a K2 review, I and
others pushed him quite hard towards producing one for the K3.
Given that the K3 is quite a different beast to the Far East Black
Boxes he normally reviews, the end result IMHO is quite good.

I don't know where, given the continual changes in the K3
development/manufacturing timeline would be a better place to
conduct a review.

I don't think the RadCom (RSGB) has had any interest either way in
the K3 review, other than to provide an interesting read for the
membership.

As has been said before the RSGB does not purchase radios
anonymously, the reviewer is normally loaned them by a dealer.
The K3 review is very different in that this time the unit came
from a user. Probably this approach is better at showing the rig,
warts and all.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 05:49:29 -0700, David Yarnes wrote:
> Ian and All,
>
> While I agree with much of what you say, and I sympathize with
the various
> issues, I can't quite agree that it necessarily is a "good
reason" for
> everything.
>
> First of all, U.K. stations had the same access to K3's as U.S.
stations
> did.  Indeed, many U.K. bound units were included in the early
shipments.
> But Elecraft's production delays does make it extremely complex
to get a
> unit on any kind of a predictable timeline.  If Radcom intended
to review
> the K3 (and I would assume they should have been interested from
day 1),
> they should have probably been quicker off the mark to get a
unit in the
> "Que", unless they were willing to delay review until they had
proper time
> to do it right.  I'm not saying Peter did it wrong--indeed his
review may be
> quite accurate based on the radio he had--but saying he didn't
have enough
> time suggests a hurried review.
>
> It seems to me that any committment to make such a review should
be
> predicated on having sufficient time to do it properly.  If
Radcom wants it
> done earlier, they should insure access to a unit on a timely
basis.  The
> timing should not be the sole responsibility of the author.
>
> I also don't understand why any review (QST, Radcom, or
otherwise) would be
> done without allowing sufficient time for communication with the
> manufacturer in case problems arise.  Now, if the manufacturer
doesn't
> cooperate, so be it.  But I assume Elecraft, or any
manufacturer, would want
> to be consulted about any claimed specifications not achieved.
 The need to
> work with the manufuacturer should be disclosed, as it says
something about
> the status of "production units", but the long term benefit of
the review
> really depends on  disclosing whether or not claimed
specifications are
> achievable, and what it took to get there.  After all, the
problem could
> possibly be on either end.
>
> In short, I think any review that is "rushed" due to time
constraints is of
> limited value.  I'm not being naive' about deadlines, but
deadlines must be
> imposed reasonably.  I also think that a review should be
something that is
> updatable.  If issues occur, which are subsequently resolved, I
think it's
> good practice to disclose them on a timely basis in a subsequent
issue,
> including how it was achieved.  Buyers rely heavily on such
reviews, and I
> would think it is in everyone's interest to do them as
completely as
> possible.  And they shouldn't "pull any punches" either.  I hate
it when
> reviewers seem to "gloss" around certain issues.  If it doesn't
perform as
> advertised, say so!!!
>
> Dave W7AQK

Members web
> page
>

>> Like the ARRL review, this one was very much a first shot -
 and as we all
>> well know, the K3 is a moving target.
>>
>> A few words about Radcom reviews may help put this into
perspective.
>> Availability of new models is typically several months behind
the USA, and
>> quite frequently the QST review is already in print before a
reviewer in
>> Europe can even lay hands on the hardware. This puts reviewers
under
>> intense time pressure.
>>
>> On receiving the equipment, the reviewer has a very short time
to make
>> some basic functional checks, just to confirm that the
equipment is fit to
>> be reviewed. More than once, I have rejected equipment at this
point, and
>> I'm sure Peter Hart has too. But once a reviewer commits
himself to the
>> magazine's production schedule, the process cannot be stopped.
If subtle