All of these discussions seem to point out that there is need for operator
control and knowlege to properly operate the radio.

For some users, the sun may rise and set on AM, but others are using the radio
for moon bounce, 160 m CW contesting, transverter,  etc.

And when a feature is implimented just for "operator convenience", it may well
limit the radio in some other unanticipated mode of operation.  Who knows what
the spacing of SWBC signals will be in 10 years.  Who knows what new modes of
digital communications will exist in 10 years.  Who knows how we will be using
radios and the internet together in 10 years.

I vote for giving the operator control rather than giving the software
control.  It is part of the adventure of the hobby to own a piece of gear that
is complex enough that it is a challenge to us to squeeze out the last ounce of
performance.  I vote for having thousands of permutations and combinations of
features at my control.

Ken K5WK