Several folks have expressed concern about their ability to remove SMDs from
a PC board without damaging the underlying copper pads.

For those who have Hakko 936-x T/C soldering stations, you may wish to
consider either (or both) of the available Hakko SMD removal tips:

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-981/Hakko-900M-dsh-T-dsh-R-Solder-Tip/Detail

and

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-982/Hakko-900M-dsh-T-dsh-RT-Solder-Tip/Detail

I can't include an image of the tip(s) here, but the links will provide that.

Basically, each tip has a 'notch' cut into it such that the tip can be
placed on each side of an SMD resistor or capacitor and can heat both sides
at the same time. Then, once the device has been heated, one can just 'slide'
the device off of its pads, into an unused ares of the board for pick-up.

In actual use, if the device is closely the proper length to fit cleanly
between the ends of the tip, the device will usually by lifted right off the
board, remaining between the ends of the tip until removed by the user.

I've had very good luck with these tips so far, and certainly no damage to
any PC board traces when using it... lower tip temps can be used since both
sides of the SMD are heated at the same time.

I'm sure that many vendors who offer Hakko products will also offer these
tips as well.

I have NO interest in Hakko Manufacturing, OR in Kiesub.com.

73,

Tom   N0SS