wb7ond wrote:

> Thanks Julian
>
> I can also see by http://aintel.bi.ehu.es/psk31theory.html that this
> PSK-31 waveform is a bit more complicated at keying than simple fsk on/off
> digital 1's and 0's.
>
> You mentioned an interesting aspect of the serial converter that is
> confusing for me:
>
> "whether the USB serial ports most people would want to use are capable of
> working at the nonstandard baud rates such modes would require. Under
> Windows you would probably have to fight with the system to get access to
> the serial ports and set these nonstandard UART parameters, making the
> task much more difficult than it was in 1986 when I wrote my own MS-DOS
> RTTY terminal program. "
>
> I purchased an old Belkin usb-serial converter that was recommended as
> being capable of running at 45.5 baud from the RTTY info web page.  <
> http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/rtty_start8.htm >  Then I discovered
> that I did not have to use the "Tx Data" (which I believe is controlled
> thru the USART), I could have keyed the DTR or RTS control line at 45.5
> baud thru the EXT FSK dll.  Would not the baud rate of that control pin be
> controlled by the MMTTY/Ext FSK software, independant of USART standard
> buad rates?  When I used a "run of the mill" usb-serial converter in the
> DTR or DTS, it seemed as though it keyed just fine, i.e. I heard the
> diddle and fsk in the K3 "monitor".  I am using Xp on a Vostro laptop.  I
> use a serial adapter to tune the K3, and a second adapter to FSK thru an
> opto isolator.  I suspect that all the "Mixw type keyers" have somehow
> solved that problem..
>
> I continued this post because I figured it may be of interest to other FSK
> Rtty folks.

Yep, that is interesting. I had my doubts about the USB to serial converters
because I haven't even managed to get one to work yet with normal serial
communications. (Fortunately my shack PC has a real serial port and I'm not
planning on replacing it with a laptop anytime soon.)

I did wonder whether you could press one of the other unused lines into
service to send the data, but assumed that it might be rather tricky getting
the right timing. However, obviously someone clever has already done that.

Still, I'm hoping that the KY command protocol will soon be fully
functional, which will achieve the same result without any extra wires or
DLLs. I'm particularly interested in being able to use it for PSK31, since
my KK7UQ IMD meter tells me that my IMD is 2dB better using the internally
generated modulation than it is using the soundcard.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
KComm for K2/K3: www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html