You'll find lots of support too, Bill. Just not so vocal here, I guess.

A long time ago I suggested a "bug mode" in the Elecraft keyers. That would
provide automatic dits like a bug but manual dashes: as long as the dash
paddle was closed the rig would be keyed. I wanted it not so much to alter
the timing (although I use the telegraph long dash for a zero which can't be
done correctly on a keyer) but I find my bug timing suffers if I use a
keyer. I quickly "forget" how to time CW properly if the keyer does it for
me.

Actually, that can be achieved on the K2 with some diodes to fool the keyer
into thinking a straight key is connected to the input when the dash lever
is pressed. But I was looking for a method that didn't involve outboard
parts.

I enjoy the sound of a straight key, either a hand pump or a bug. I liken a
swing to an "accent".  Sometimes a little swing provides character to the
sound that I find delightful to hear. But such a swing is not consistent,
any more than a speaker with an accent pronounces a syllable consistently in
every word.

Just tuning across the bands, I have noticed that the most pleasant sounding
(to me) fists usually turn out to be bugs or straight keys.

But there are many Hams who have a very difficult time copying CW that isn't
"machine perfect". For them, any swing or variation in timing seems to be
frustrating beyond words. I'm sure there are many who are unhappy with my
"fist".

We Hams are a disparate bunch. Let the good times roll...

Ron AC7AC