Ian wrote:

To be fair to Elecraft, that is how 21st-century radios behave.

The rigs we grew up with had "stay-put" controls because there was no
other choice. Going back to the same frequency, mode, antennas and PA
tuning that we had previously been using on a given band was a complex
ritual involving several different controls - some of which could cause
damage if incorrectly adjusted.

The K3 obviously *could* be programmed to emulate that behavior, so if
anyone really wants to go back there, by all means petition Wayne to
include it as a CONFIG option. We could call it "Century= mid20th".

But *please* leave the K3's default setting as "21st"!

-----------------------------

In spite of your thinly-veiled sarcasm, Ian, I agree with you completely.

I hope Elecraft succeeds in providing the features most people will want.
That will produce the most sales and most success for them.

But what's popular doesn't mean it's what everyone should or needs to do.
Not everyone wants to play the same game. Not everyone wants to follow the
same crowd.

There can be a real sophistication and elegance to a simple user interface,
particularly for those of us whose primary interest isn't busting DX pileups
or racking up the largest contest scores.

My observation was that if we have a truly sophisticated radio capable of
complex behavior, it'd be nice if that behavior included the ability to
provide a simple, elegant and intuitive user interface for non-competitive
operating as well.

Elecraft has shown great success as a company by not copying everyone else.
I hope they continue that tradition of innovation.

Ron AC7AC