I apologize for the bandwidth, but I really trust the sources of info here
and it may help someone else starting out like me with specific K3 info and
antenna theory.

I've been playing around with my K3 in a portable capacity out in my yard.
Here is the setup:

-K3 running @ 5W
-Antenna: 66' doublet made from 28g wire fed with open feedline made from
same, spaced apart with wood dowels 3" wide. It is placed up in a tree about
35' up with the ends coming down in an inverted v fashion.
-The antenna is fed to a BL2 with a 12" piece of coax to the K3.

I used a similar setup last summer with my K2 and had what I thought was
pretty good success. In trying to evaluate this setup, I usually call CQ as
opposed to answering one. This way I know that if I get a reply, the other
op heard me. During the exchange I will state my power info to which I
usually get positive comments about the K3 and/or the antenna setup - or
they quickly sign off (not sure why they do that if I got a 599 report).

Yesterday, I was tuning around 40m when I heard a station calling CQ - QRP
on 7.059. He was a 479 here so I thought I would give him a call back. He
answered and gave me a report of 359. After the initial exchange, he stated
he could not copy me - we tried a couple more times and then signed off. He
was a definite solid copy on my end with the S-meter hitting S1-3 at times
with some QSB. It was like this the whole time.

Now my questions:
1 - with my antenna setup tuned with the KAT3, knowing that we were both at
5 watts, is it possible for the antenna to be more efficient at receiving
than transmitting? I guess I always thought that if an antenna "system" is
matched then the energy transfer is reciprocated for rcv and xmt.

2 - with all the great receiver reports I've read on the K3 - could it be
that I was simply hearing him better with my K3 than whatever he was using
(unfortunately I don't know what he used as we never got that far in the
QSO)?

3 - I did notice after the QSO that the balun was a little warm. If there
are transmission losses in the balun, would there not be reciprocated losses
on the receive side?

If you feel this is not list appropriate, please reply to me privately.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

73,
Dave W8FGU