Jerry:

    I don't know if you own a K3 or not but if you don't then you should invest
in one before knocking the K3 down. The fact that Sherwood Engineering and
others have found the K3 to surpass the receivers in those expensive radios
like the IC-7800 and the FTDX-9000,  should be enough proof of the performance
of the K3.  I have owned many different receivers/transceivers over my ham
career and I honestly have not found anything yet to be the receiver in the K3.
    Just my 2 cents worth from Fern with K3 #412.

The high prices of the roofing filters for the K3 and optional filters for
other rigs reminds me of a little history.

Nevertheless, I find it especially disturbing having to pay these modern
prices considering that the filters have apparently not been designed or
chosen for good IMD performance or advantageous group delay characteristics.
Also, some filters are reputed to have been defective. Of course, the
filters may not be totally to blame for the mediocre front end performance
of the K3 (compared with the professional-level performance that some of us
had hoped for.)

Jerry  AI6L