On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:14:01 +0100, Allen J. Gawne wrote:

>I'm setting up a station after many years absence from Amateur Radio

There is NOTHING unique in the K3 with respect to how it works with
antennas. It is simply a very excellent radio with a very good
antenna tuner.

I've been licensed for 53 years, but off and on the air for a decade
or so twice during those years. Several years ago, I was in the same
position you are. I bought several books on antennas and studied them
extensively. I suggest that you do the same. They are the ARRL
Antenna Book and "Low Band DXing" by ON4UN.

In my experience, classic dipoles and verticals are awfully hard to
beat until you go to the trouble of a beam. Nearly all verticals need
a radial or counterpoise system of some sort to work well.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC